Breeding a Dogo Argentino is a huge task. To ensure successful breeding, There are 6 factors that need to be covered:
1. Semen quality
Testicles should be of the same size and of firm not hard consistency. Normal Semen should have the following characteristics:
- Number: 10 million / LB body weight
- Color: White
- Motility : Greater than 80 %
- PH : 6.2 to 6.6
- Morphology: Less than 20 % abnormal.
2. Did the Bitch ovulate?
There are 4 hormones that is responsible for ovulation:
- Follicle stimulating hormone or FSH and luteinizing Hormone or LH they both come from the pituitary gland in the brain
- Estrogen and Progesterone Hormone – they both come from the ovaries
- Progesterone hormone to determine that the bitch has ovulated and released the ova
3. Timing of ovulation
Estrogen cannot be used to indicate ovulation. Progesterone is used for that purpose, levels of 2 to 3 ng corresponds with LH surge which leads to ovulation 48 hours later. The ova take another 48 hours to mature after being released. Only then they are ready for fertilization. Ovulation corresponds with Progesterone levels of 5 ng. The due date is 63 days from the day of ovulation and has nothing to do with the breeding date.
4. Anatomical obstruction
Below is a video of Lihuen receiving surgical insemination to achieve pregnancy.